100 days of Zelensky
As predicted, the first 100 days of Vladimir Zelensky as president did not bring fundamental changes to the life of the state, society and economy - either positive or negative. Although these 100 days were not lost for the country, they were not fully used. Zelensky took part in “political universities” as an external student, because he only learned how to be a politician and statesman (like most of his team), learned to “smooth corners” and “wear a suit”.
The first 3 months confirmed that the new President is not sophisticated in politics and managing people, but at the same time distrustful of new people, prone to projects and can fall under the influence of his environment. He does not have the necessary knowledge and experience, but have extremely ambitious and ready to make radical and quick decisions.
The president sees goals, but does not have his own recipes for achieving them. Around these “recipes” unfolded the predicted fight of key influence groups in his environment, which publicly turned into a cacophony of often antagonistic signals on key topics: peace, tariffs, reforms.
The main achievements of Zelensky and the team during this time were:
The President outplayed his opponents in public relations - this is probably the main achievement. Sociology shows not only high Zelensky ratings of 50-70% support, but also a general surge of social optimism, because most Ukrainians believe that the country has begun to move in the right direction. Its comparable only to 2005;
Dissolution of the parliament and victory of the "Servant of the People" in the early elections (voters voted again for Zelensky);
Некоторая разрядка/деэскалация конфликта на востоке Украины;
Prevention of the emergence of a socio-economic crisis or even turbulence (characteristic of a change of power in Ukraine);
Some detente / de-escalation of the conflict in eastern Ukraine;
Declaration of refusal (is it for a long time and seriously?) from “ArMovVir” (army, languarge, faith) - an aggressive humanitarian policy of previous authority, interference in the religious sphere.
The key expert claim to 100 days of Zelensky primarily relates to the fact that the President was unable to build a clear architecture of power - the decision-making vertical, to present to the public a country's development plan for a year, two, five. Many important decisions are made in chaos, in the conflict of goals and objectives, in the struggle of different influence groups or are not taken at all.
Among the negatives can be noted:
1) Lack of the promised “audit of country”. At the same time, it is not necessary (although desirable) to hire external auditors, conduct a census and spend budget money - for starters it will be sufficient the results of the work of the State Audit Service, the Accounts Chamber and the Ze team`s field work;
2) The lack of a strategy with regard to the Donbass and Crimea is a set of multidirectional signals and statements (from the appointments of Kuchma and the resignation of the Immortal to the “aggressor country”);
3) Lack of decision on tariffs and NKRE (although the price of gas has decreased by 20% and Constitutional Court of Ukraine has recognized the creation and functioning of NKRE as unconstitutional);
4) The “fight against corruption” that did not give results (with those who were not imprisoned in spring / autumn, they will have to agree on the division of spheres of influence this winter);
5) “Coalition personnel policy”: The President’s Office represents interests of influence groups of “95th quarter”, Privat, Pinchuk, Western partners influence groups; executive authorities (state administrations) - Privat; power structures - “95 quarter” + “Privat” + “Avakov”; Party - “95th quarter”, “Privat”, “Pinchuk”, “Western partners”, “Avakov”, “regional groups and commercial places”.
6) High dependence of the President on some members of his team and the “text”;
7) Personal fatigue is outlined.
It can be stated that Zelensky’s “honey period” has ended in these 100 days. Although the ratings can both fall and grow, it all depends on the actions of the President and his team. In the future, he is waiting for 100% responsibility for everything that happens in the country and with the country.
There will be successes and mistakes in this work. Ukrainians for a long time will be forgive almost everything to the President and his team. The only thing that will not be forgiven is fear: fear of radicals in deciding on the Donbass, fear of oligarchs in tariffs, fear of clans in the fight against corruption, fear of “western partners” in upholding of national interests.
Director of UIAMP